There's a nice group of folks coming together for the next "Simple Marketing Success" 10-week group coaching program that begins October 8.
In fact, you have about 24 hours to catch Early Bird pricing that expires tomorrow (9/21).
I'm talking with a lot of entrepreneurs, small business owners, and independent professionals about the program.
Some are a great fit for the program and will benefit hugely.
Some are not. I will almost always catch these people during the application process and weed them out.
This is one such story...
This entrepreneur emailed me the following question:
I hope you are having a great weekend! After some debate, here's the verdict: I want to take the course, I believe, you see, I'd make a great student - but money is an issue for the household if you know what I mean.
So here's a question: Would you feel comfortable giving us a 100% satisfaction guarantee? If at the end of 10 weeks I have not been able to get a solid booking(s) to at least cover the cost of the program, then you'd give us a full refund. But if I have been able to get a solid booking(s) at the end of the 10-week period, then we call it a major success and both parties are happy, including my wife. Can we do that?
I won't bore you with pointing out the half-dozen red flags with this prospect. You can probably see them all for yourself.
This post is about guaranteeing YOUR consulting, coaching, or training outcomes.
My policy - I don't do it.
And neither should YOU.
Here's what I replied to this fellow:
If you're looking for some kind of guarantee, the problem is that I can only guarantee MY program.
I can't guarantee YOUR results.
Here's what I guarantee:
- I'll lead 10 weekly calls
- You'll get 10 weekly assignments
- You'll get digital audio downloads of 10 calls
- You'll get word-for-word transcripts of 10 calls
- You'll get 280+ pages of tested small business marketing strategies, tools, templates, and ideas
- The ideas and tactics you'll get have been proven with over 300 entrepreneurs, small business owners and independent professionals
- I'll be available for UNLIMITED email support and respond to you within 1 business day, usually much sooner
- You'll get TWO 30-minute private 1-on-1 calls with me which you can use for any purpose
- You'll get full access to the online Group/Forum website for asking questions, seeking feedback, and posting responses and assignments
- I can't guarantee you'll be on the calls
- I can't guarantee you'll listen to the recordings
- I can't guarantee you'll do your weekly assignments
- I can't guarantee you'll read the transcripts
- I can't guarantee you'll read the book
- I can't guarantee you'll implement a single strategy or tactic
- I can't guarantee you'll email me when you need help or guidance
- I can't guarantee you'll set up your 2 private coaching calls
- I can't guarantee you'll follow my advice
- I can't guarantee you'll participate in the online forum
- I can't guarantee you'll work hard (or at all) to make this program WORK for you
And I'm not in the business of "convincing" people with feel-good guarantees.
I don't work with hundreds of people at a clip. I work with a very small, very dedicated group of entrepreneurs, business owners and independent professionals who are committed to their own success and want to accelerate its timetable and expand its scope.
If that's you, then terrific. Let's do this thing.
If not, no hard feelings.
What do YOU think? Please use the COMMENTS area below to share your advice, insights and recommendations on using guarantees in YOUR coaching, consulting, training or professional services business. And if you use a written guarantee, feel free to post the link and a quick plug for your services, too!