As a speaker, consultant, thought-leading executive or entrepreneur, you may have heard about the importance of building an audience for your work... Sounds great.But it's nowhere as important as developing a market for your expertise.
Here are 17 vital differences between a market and an audience.
You can spend YEARS attracting and serving an audience that is NOT your market. And that's just sad, painful, and frustrating.
These are as pernicious as they are deceptive.
WHICH of these has been holding you back - confusing you - or set you to wondering how come you're not making more money?
Let's go down the list...
- An audience listens - A market pays attention
- An audience wants entertainment - A market wants to solve problems
- An audience values an experience - A market values expertise
- An audience wants to watch - A market wants to act
- An audience wants information - A market wants implementation
- An audience reacts - A market responds
- An audience wants their questions answered - A market wants their answers questioned
- An audience wants you to be popular - A market wants you to be right
- An audience asks “What can you do?” - A market asks “What’s next?” and “What else?”
- An audience says, “Great show!” - A market says, “Great job!”
- An audience tells their friends - A market tells their boss
- An audience buys your book - A market reads your book
- An audience likes your ideas - A market implements your ideas
- An audience wants your autograph - A market wants to give you their signature
- An audience applauds - A market refers
- An audience says, “Thank you” - A market says, “Thank goodness!”
and finally - most important of all - read this next one as often as you need to...
17. An audience will HEAR you - A market will PAY you (well, often, and gladly)
Expert marketers not only build an audience - they develop a market for their value, ideas, products, services, and programs.
Want to apply for your Speaker Strategy Call to see how you can IMPLEMENT some of these concepts right away? Apply for your call here.