I was browsing through my ebook edition of Napoleon Hill's Think and Grow Rich and this particular passage jumped out at me.
Thought you should see it. YOUR comments welcome below in the COMMENTS section... just scroll down and let me know what you think.
9 Reasons People Fail
1. Lack of well‐defined purpose in life. There is no hope of success for the person who does not have a central purpose, or definite goal at which to aim. Ninety‐eight out of every hundred of those whom I have analyzed had no such aim. Perhaps this was the major cause of their failure.
2. Lack of ambition to aim above mediocrity. We offer no hope for the person who is so indifferent as not to want to get ahead in life, and who is not willing to pay the price.
3. Lack of self‐discipline. Discipline comes through self‐control. This means that one must control all negative qualities. Before you can control conditions, you must first control yourself. Self‐mastery is the hardest job you will ever tackle. If you do not conquer self, you will be conquered by self. You may see at one and the same time both your best friend and your greatest enemy, by stepping in front of a mirror.
4. Procrastination. This is one of the most common causes of failure. “Old Man Procrastination” stands within the shadow of every human being, waiting his opportunity to spoil one’s chances of success. Most of us go through life as failures, because we are waiting for the “time to be right” to start doing something worthwhile. Do not wait. The time will never be “just right.” Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command, and better tools will be found as you go along.
5. Lack of persistence. Most of us are good “starters” but poor “finishers” of everything we begin, moreover, people are prone to give up at the first signs of defeat. There is no substitute of persistence. The person, who makes persistence his watchword, discovers that “Old Man Failure” finally becomes tired, and makes his departure. Failure cannot cope with persistence.
6. Negative personality. There is no hope of success for the person who repels people through a negative personality. Success comes through the application of power, and power is attained through the cooperative efforts of other people. A negative personality will not induce cooperation.
7. Lack of a well‐defined power of decision. Men who succeed reach decision promptly, and change them, if at all, very slowly. Men who fail reach decisions, if at all, very slowly, and change them frequently, and quickly. Indecision and procrastination are twin brothers. Where one is found, the other may usually be found also. Kill off this pair before they completely “hog‐tie” you to the treadmill of failure.
8. Over‐caution. The person who takes no chances generally has to take whatever is left when others are through choosing. Over‐caution is as bad as under‐caution. Both are extremes to be guarded against. Life itself is filled with the element of chance.
9. Wrong selection of associates in business. This is one of the most common causes of failure in business. In marketing personal services, one should use great care to select an employer who will be an inspiration, and who is, himself, intelligent and successful. We emulate those with whom we associate most closely. Pick an employer who is worth emulating.
Need a great marketing speaker for your next association conference, company meeting, or franchisee/dealer event? Marketing speaker David Newman delivers the goods - over 600 presentations since 1992.
And then leave a comment below with your questions, thoughts, and advice on the ideas above.
Are you a DO IT freak? Welcome to the club!! Please use the social media buttons at the top of this post to share it with your network. YOU are a rock star!