23 things to say when you're asked for 'free consulting'
Brilliant advice from marketing expert Maria Marsala. Maria is a Business Builder and former Wall Street Trader. With her motto of "Powering-UP service businesses and their owners," she provides articles, tips, classes, and resources to do just that. Learn more at www.ElevatingYourBusiness.com
1. My charge for an initial consultation is "x." If we turn out to be a good match, and you hire me, I'll apply 1/2 of "x" towards your commitment.
2. I'm happy to give you 5 minutes or less of free time, however, most issues are more quickly & effectively resolved in an undisturbed session(s). May we schedule a meeting so I can give you my undivided attention?
3. If someone is very persistent, whip out a stopwatch & say "For $2 a minute I'd be happy to go into this now. May I start the clock & do you prefer to pay with cash or check?"
4. What I can do is refer you to a free resource on "_______."
5. I do work with two pro-bono clients, who are in desperate need financially. I'll take your card and add you to the waiting list.
6. Yes, I do work with clients on "name the issue." Would you like to set up a consultation?
7. That will cost "x" per hour.
8. There's a lot I can do for you that's similar to the work I did for "xyz" client. Would you like to get together and build a marketing plan? (And then charge for those services.)
9. Well, I'd love to suggest something; however, my fees are "xxx" per hour.
10. Are you looking to hire me?
11. Are you looking to hire _____? Well, I'd love to talk to you about that; my fees are "x" per hour."
12. You may call me for a 15-minute talk, very focused, on that issue.
13. "Well, the answer to that question depends" and then spend a few minutes explaining some of the options and considerations. For example, I may explain that the best way to identify the "solution" is to work backward from the desired end result and process. That provides a natural lead-in to: "If I were to work with you on this project, here's how we would do it..."
14. Sorry, I can't answer that unless you pay my fee (or hire me).
15. A complete answer to your question is going to take more than 15 minutes over the phone. Would you like me to send you a proposal on this?
16. I have really enjoyed talking with you and would like to help more. May I send you one of my brochures and a rate card?
17. Do you have a time line and/or budget in mind for solving this problem?
18. Have you looked at cost estimates from others who would like to help you solve this problem or complete this project?
19. It's not a good time for me to begin a session right this minute. Would you like to briefly discuss session times and fees?
20. Are you seeking generic free information on "the topic" or to work with a "your profession here" to address your specific situation? [If I have a free resource, I'll ask for their email address and send it to them.]
21. I provide a general 3-4 sentence overview of how I would address their concern with them. Then I say that I've found that the sorting of the information available and subsequent application of that information is so specific to each individual that I always recommend hiring a "your profession here" for getting that one project completed.
22. Well what I can offer you on that subject is an ebook (CD, audio, etc) called ________. I'll email you the link.
23. Refer them to these "free" or "almost free" resources:
p.s. If you'd like some personalized help
- The library has books/tapes/audios/CD/reference librarians.
- To an outsider, your local SBA and SCORE Offices "look" free. They're really not "free" either. Their classes "cost $" and their advice is paid for by all of us as part of our taxes.
- Find a professional who needs your services and see about some sort of in-kind exchange or barter. Again, this isn't totally free, as you do need to report it on your taxes, but in most cases, there isn't any money exchanged.
- Join lots of ezines by experts in the area you're looking to learn about, but do it quickly while they are still free. And know that the 'best of the best' contain ads and affiliate programs, too.
- and your very own customized marketing and sales toolkit
PLUS an easy-to-implement marketing game plan
with 1-on-1 guidance
for 90 days, get all the details here